MOCAP ONLINE COURSES
Previously called MOVIP, the Missouri Course Access Program (MOCAP) provides a catalog of online courses. MOCAP’s mission is to offer Missouri students equal access to a wide range of quality courses, flexibility in scheduling, and interactive online learning that is neither time nor place dependent.
MOCAP is not a school and does not offer a complete high school diploma program. Instead, they offer courses that may be applied to the student’s transcript. Successful MOCAP students will graduate with a diploma from Richmond High School.
ELIGIBLE STUDENTS (IGCD)
In accordance with Missouri statutes, all Richmond R-XVI students are eligible to enroll in a MOCAP-approved course at District expense, providing the student meets the eligibility criteria including the following:
1. Student must reside in and be enrolled in the Richmond R-XVI School District.
2. Student must have been enrolled as a full-time student and must have attended regularly at one of the Richmond R-XVI schools during the previous semester.
3. Enrollment is approved by the building Principal and the Superintendent.
1. The MOCAP enrollment window for fall semester opens Aug 1 and closes on the second Friday of the school year.
2. The MOCAP enrollment window for spring semester opens on the day students return to school and closes on the second Friday of the semester.
3. Requests to enroll in a MOCAP course should be made during the appropriate MOCAP enrollment window.
4. Requests to enroll in a MOCAP course should be directed to the building Principal and/or Counselor.
5. Requests to enroll in MOCAP courses will be reviewed by the building Principal and Counselor.
6. The Counselor will discuss with the student and parents the aptitudes and characteristics of students who are successful with online courses.
7. If the student and parents are still interested in enrolling in a MOCAP course, the request will be reviewed by the Superintendent.
8. If approved by the Superintendent, the Counselor will assist the student in completing the enrollment process.
END OF COURSE EXAM AND MAP ASSESSMENTS
All students enrolled in the Richmond R-XVI School District in grades 3-8 are expected to take the Missouri Assessment (MAP), even if only enrolled in MOCAP courses. Likewise, high school students enrolled in any of the following courses, whether in person on through MOCAP, are expected to take the End of Course Exam or the local assessment associated with the course:
American History – Civics Test
SUCCESSFUL MOCAP STUDENTS
MSBA has researched the efficacy of virtual learning. Based on their research, MSBA indicates, that:
1. It may be in the best interest of the student to select in-person learning over virtual learning because research suggests that students learn better in a face-to-face environment.
2. Data suggests that students with low GPAs placed into virtual learning situations fall further behind their peers.
3. Advanced students taking virtual courses to learn about advanced subjects creates more education success than them not taking the advanced subject.
District experience with students taking virtual courses suggest that students who are successful with virtual courses,
4. exhibit perseverance, in that they will continue to try when the course work gets challenging;
5. are diligent, in that they can make themselves sit down at the computer every day and work on lessons; and
6. are good time managers, allocating sufficient time to complete lessons and ensure satisfactory progress towards course completion.
1. It is recommended that students new to MOCAP courses enroll in one course initially.
2. Students will be allowed to enroll in no more than two courses simultaneously.
3. Students may be allowed to enroll in another course upon successful completion of either of the original courses.
4. Students will not be approved to enroll in a virtual course that would cause their enrollment to exceed the equivalent of full-time enrollment. Exceptions may be made by the Superintendent based on credits needed for graduation.
5. Students are expected to complete all courses prior to the end of the current semester.
6. Students who do not satisfactorily complete a MOCAP course by the established course deadline will not be allowed to enroll in another MOCAP course at District expense.
7. The District may terminate access to a course if the District determines that the student is not making satisfactory progress.
8. Students will not be allowed to enroll in MOCAP courses that are the same or similar to courses offered onsite at Richmond High School. Exceptions may be made by the Superintendent.
9. Students will not be allowed to enroll in virtual courses through a provider that is not on the MOCAP approved list. MOCAP approved providers have demonstrated that their courses are aligned with the Missouri Learning Standards and that their teachers are certified as Missouri teachers.
10. The Richmond R-XVI School District will not provide computers, internet access, or other technology resources needed to participate in a virtual course.
11. Exceptions to MOCAP enrollment window can only be made by the Superintendent.